Thursday, April 29, 2010

DAY 19: If I don't kill myself, do I still get the benefit?

I crashed last night.  Mind says to body "lift leg."  Body starts to lift leg and immediately responds "No! It's too heavy."  Mind says "Ridiculous.  You did it last night.  It wasn't too heavy then?"  Body says "That was then, this is now."  Mind says "Lift leg."  Body says "F you!"  Mind says "I hate you."  Body says "I hate you too!"  Spirit/soul says "I hate myself.  Why can't I do this? What's wrong with me?  I'm not trying hard enough.  I'm being a weenie. I guilty of not working hard enough."  About to sob after cobra and realized this is ridiculous.  It's one class out of many I will have in my lifetime of a yogini and I DO NOT hate myself because for whatever reason I just crashed in class.  I don't even care if the reasons were my fault or not - not enough water, sleep or whatever.  It doesn't matter. 

Did I get benefit from going to that class? Yes. I think I get benefit the minute I show up and pranayama begins and I do my best to stay in the room.  How much benefit though is up to me and my decision to do it the right way and then on top of it how far into the pose I go with the right way. Now the question is that class with less benefit worth taking?  Only if I think it will detract from the next class.  That is not the case here.  There is no injury I need worry about.  I can drink more water today. I could still crash today and still receive benefit.  Reminds me of something Rajashree said in a weekend seminar I took last January - "now, it's up to you.  How exciting do you want to make it?"  Get into the right way of the posture and then decide how deep you are going to go.

Is this called pacing yourself?  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment