Tuesday, August 3, 2010

114/213: ... and the bottom falls out

Interesting blog title.  I have been dreading writing this blog and I have been scrambling to deal with a new development in my life.  I recently went to a podiatrist for my heel issue and walked away with a diagnosis that included the statement "yeah, I don't think yoga is in your best interest - regardless of style and not just for now but for ever".  How can yoga not be good for me or anybody???  Well, my body the way that it is just by itself puts too much pressure on the achilles at the insertion point of the heel (where there happens to be a heel spur growing as a result of this and previous plantar fascia problems) add tight calves which also add pressure to the tendon add locking the knee which oh, by the way mine hyperextends back naturally when locked so this increases the pressure on the heel particularly when we put weight back on the heels!  Grrr.........................................

I haven't given up and I am sure there are some slight modifications I can do even putting a towel under my heel or wearing some heel raising boot.  There's got to be some stretches out there for my tight calves that ALSO don't put pressure on the achilles point.  There's got to be some strength training for the opposing muscles so that my calves and achilles don't feel like they have to take the burden. I tried the towel under the foot last night in class and it was incredibly informative.  Suddenly a whole new set of muscles needed to get to work and at the end of class in savasana it felt like my calves just started to unravel.  Maybe I can change my body and my alignment so one day this isn't a problem and maybe I can do it with yoga.  Maybe my old  idea of these postures dones with my old body needs to change as I change my body to be in the posture - my best posture for my best body.  It felt really good to write that.  Or maybe a whole new door will open.  It feels like the bottom has fallen out right now but that does create a doorway didn't it?

I am sure that this is for the best some how.  My theme in life lately has been to surrender, embrace, accept, be in the moment and move forward. If it had not been for my yoga, I'm not sure I would be able to think and feel this way and keep this level-headed.  So I've ended right side up yet once again. 

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you got an answer on the heel issue even if it isn't exactly what you wanted to hear. You learn so much from yoga...in the studio and out and I am sure you will learn and grow with this new information and the changes that will need to be made to keep you safe and comfortable. Looking forward to watching you shine in new ways. :)

    ReplyDelete